Meaning, Context & Cognition (mcc 2013)
11-13 April 2013, University of Lodz, Poland
View the MCC 2013 Book of Abstracts
University of Lodz
Department of English Language & Applied Linguistics
Conference contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstracts (max. 300 words) are invited for papers on topics relevant to the fields of meaning, context & cognition with the goal of the conference to integrate and promote both theoretical and applied research (e.g. corpus studies, interdisciplinary research) from the interface of semantics and pragmatics.
The topics invited for discussion during the 2013 MCC meeting include:
- Linguistic interfaces
- Interfaces of theoretical and applied studies
- Language, music and cognition
- Language and emotion
- Language and gender
- Intercultural communication
- Language and law – SPECIAL SESSION
INVITED SPEAKERS – PLENARIES:
The following invited speakers confirmed their participation:
- Aleksy AWDIEJEW (Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland) & Grażyna HABRAJSKA (University of Łódź)
- Anita FETZER (University of Wuerzburg, Germany)
- Roman KALISZ (University of Gdańsk, Poland)
- Jacob MEY (University of Southern Denmark)
- Marina SBISÁ (University of Trieste, Italy)
- Tahir WOOD (University of the Western Cape, South Africa)
LANGUAGE and LAW special session:
- Jan ENGBERG (Aarhus University) - plenary for special session on legal language
- Dennis KURZON (University of Haifa, Israel) - plenary for special session on legal language
|Final abstract submission deadline||18 February 2012|
|Notification of acceptance||28 January 2013|
|Early payment/registration||10 February 2013|
|Payment due||30 March 2013|
Please email your proposal to: email@example.com with a copy to Iwona Witczak-Plisiecka (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
Abstracts should not be longer than 300 words. Please include your name, affiliation and e-mail address. Abstracts will be double-blind peer-reviewed and should include sufficient details to allow reviewers to judge the scientific merits of the work. Paper presentations will be allowed 20 minutes, plus 10 minutes for discussion. Presentations will be in English; organizers also envisage a possibility of a session in Polish.
Participants without a paper are asked to e-mail their affiliation details.
PAPERS AND POST-CONFERENCE PUBLICATIONS
Selected peer-reviewed papers will be published with an international publisher (with a separate volume on language and law), a selection of papers can also be published in Research in Language, an abstracted international linguistics journal published by Lodz University Press (paper edition) and Versita MetaPress (e-version).
Links to selected publications from our earlier conferences:
- Research in Language 2012, Vol. 10.3.
- Research in Language selected papers in various volumes
- Stanisław Góźdź-Roszkowski & Iwona Witczak-Plisiecka (eds) 2011: Legal Terminology: Approaches and Applications. Research in Language (special issue), vol. 9 No. 1. Lodz: Lodz University Press (paper edition) and Versita MetaPress (online edition); available at: http://versita.metapress.com/content/120739.
- Adam Bednarek & Iwona Witczak-Plisiecka (eds.) 2011, Interdisciplinary Approaches to Communication Studies. Lodz: WSSM.
- Iwona Witczak-Plisiecka (ed.), 2010, Speech Actions in Theory and Applied Studies. [Pragmatic Perspectives on Language and Linguistics, Vol.I.] Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, xi+513pp. book info
- Iwona Witczak-Plisiecka (ed.), 2010, Pragmatics of Semantically-Restricted Domains. [Pragmatic Perspectives on Language and Linguistics, Vol.II.] Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, xii+406pp. book info
CONFERENCE FEE AND FURTHER DETAILS:
Payment of the conference fee should be transferred to the following account:
BANK: PKO S.A II O/Lodz
ul. Piotrkowska 270, 90-361 Lodz
ACCOUNT No: 96 1240 3028 1111 0010 2943 1767
(IBAN): PL 96 1240 3028 1111 0010 2943 1767
!!! (Please mark MCC 2013 in the first line in your transfer, followed by your name)
Alternatively cash or SWIFT payment can be made on arrival. This will incur an additional charge of 25 EUR. We regret that neither cheques nor credit cards can be accepted on site.
Conference fee & further details
(money transfer before 10 February 2013)
(after 10 Feb 2013)
|Conference participation (incl. conf materials, refreshments, internet access)||€ 180
|Conference participation – PhD & MA students or one day participants (also participants from Eastern Europe**)||€ 130
|Participants from Poland (working & living in Poland)||PLN 300
(doktoranci: 200 PLN)
|Conference PACKAGE – ALL INCLUSIVE (incl. registration fee and full board accommodation at the conference centre, two nights included)||€ 350
|Conference PACKAGE cost (as above) – discount price (students & eligible countries)**||€ 300
|| € 320
|Conference PACKAGE cost for participants from Poland
||800 PLN||850 PLN|
|Individual nights (& extended stay)||Single||Double|
|One night stay (b&b)||€ 50/night*||€ 40/night*|
* prices subject to change (dependent on exchange rates)
**also selected other discount countries; please contact the organisers to check whether you qualify
You can download Registration form here
The accommodation offered by the organizers is Lodz University Conference Centre, which is also the conference venue. It is located within the walking distance from the city centre. All rooms are equipped with a private bathroom, refrigerator, TV and free internet access (via ethernet cable).
The conference package advertised above includes accommodation (2 nights: 11/12 & 12/13 March), meals (11: supper, 12: breakfast, lunch, 13: breakfast, lunch) and conference dinner on 12th April.
Individual meals can also be bought on site.
Individual conference dinner price is € 50 and can be paid on site.
Extended stays at the Lodz Conference Centre and booking accommodation for persons accompanying the participants are also possible and are both arranged by the organizers. Please contact us at MCC@uni.lodz.pl for more details.
For participants from Poland – additional financial information:
Osoby, które chcą otrzymać fakturę w czasie konferencji proszone są o dokonanie płatności przelewem najpóźniej do końca lutego 2012 i przesłanie danych do faktury na adres firstname.lastname@example.org. Przypominamy, że faktury wystawiane są zgodnie z danymi konta, z którego wykonany został przelew, nie jest zatem możliwe wystawienie faktury na uczelnię przy płatności przelewem z prywatnego konta bankowego.
Conference dinner is scheduled for 12th April. It will be held at the Biedermann Palace (http://palac.uni.lodz.pl/), a presentable venue built over a hundred years ago for a family of Łódź’s factory owners. The dinner will be preceded by a Łódź tram tour and concert.
TRAVEL TO LODZ
Lodz is accessible by plane, although the small local airport has a limited number of flights (mainly ‘cheap’ airlines). Among others it has a regular service to London (Stansted), Birmingham, UK and Israel.
Link to Lodz airport information: www.airport.lodz.pl/en/for-passengers/tourist-information
The closest international airport outside of Lodz is in Warsaw.
Warsaw airport information: http://www.lotnisko-chopina.pl/en/passenger?cl=en&set_language=en
There is a regular train service between Warsaw and Lodz (approximately every hour)
Information about trains between Warsaw and Lodz: http://rozklad-pkp.pl/?q=en/node/143
Tourist information about Lodz:
For more information please contact the organisers at:
email@example.com (conference contact e-mail)
Conference convenor; Department of English Language and Apllied Linguistics
Prof. Stanisław Goźdź-Roszkowski, firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-chair for legal language session; Department of Translation Studies
Dr. Mikołaj Deckert, email@example.com
Conference secretary; Department of Translation Studies
Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics
University of Lodz
Al. Kosciuszki 65
90-514 Lodz, Poland
tel/fax +48 42 6655220